Monday, July 20, 2009

Melakwa Lake

Last Tuesday Sadie & I hit the trail for a day hike to Melakwa Lake. I'd wanted to do an overnight trip, but the weather turned to poop and Sadie fell ill for a couple days (she's fine now), so I decided a day hike would be more prudent.

I know people who do this hike every year, but this was my first time. And dammit if it didn't show me how out-of-shape I have become! But that's not the important part. The hike is gorgeous - expansive views nearly the entire hike up, and the lake itself is gorgeous. I will have to go back and do an overnight for sure.

On the way up there is a river crossing. Well, there are a few, but on this particular one the bridge is out. It's no big deal, because you can hop across rocks & logs and get to the other side just fine. Then there are lots of flat rocks where the river has carved them down through the centuries. It's quite lovely, and we spent a few minutes there. But then somehow this caused me to miss the trail on the other side. I felt pretty silly, because Melakwa Lake is one of the most popular hikes around these parts (I don't think I'd ever do it on a weekend, for example), and I'm pretty sure nobody has lost the trail before. Oh well. Sadie and & thrashed around in the underbrush for awhile, finding nothing. Finally I let Sadie off the leash and she led us right to the trail! What a smart dog. And good for something, which is nice to find out.

Anyway, we made it to the top, me cursing my laziness of the last six months and vowing to get serious about working out again. At the lake, which was totally fogged in even though the rest of the hike had been mostly sunny, I made lunch with my backpacking stove, rested a few, then turned around and came home. All in all, a good day.

Today we are setting out again, on an overnight trip to a secret location near Stevens Pass. If I don't get eaten by the bears, I'll be back with a trip report soon.


heading up the trail


passing under I-90 at Snoqualmie Pass


One of the pretty waterfalls along the way


Yeah, the dog carries her own weight


Unfortunately, the lake was clouded in. But still gorgeous!

2 comments:

Lee Ryan said...

Looks like a great day outdoors! Beautiful pictures

stacy marie said...

It's not just you, this hike kicks my ass every time I'm on it...but it suuure is worth it. Good to see the trail is snow free, I want to get up there soon.

Have fun camping! Text me when you get back