Friday, April 3, 2009

A Bad Day Turns Into Good

Yesterday started out pretty crappy. There were a number of reasons: someone I was starting to care about decided he isn't in a place to return those feelings right now; I have a lot of big, and I mean BIG, life decisions to make all at once; and to top it all off I kept getting bloody noses (a British reader might wonder, 'Huh? We've all got one," but stick with me here). By the time I reached Alpental at 9:45 a.m., my nose had bled twice. Once I got to the bathroom at the mountain, it started going again! Sheesh. I considered turning around and going home. If my nose is going to bleed every time I land on my face, this is going to be a pretty crappy day, I thought. But I stayed.

And thank goodness for that! I had the best day I've ever had on the snowboard. By that I mean everything was working right, I was working right, going fast, carving turns, getting off the lifts without falling, and slaying some mad pow. I usually don't go up Chair 2 by myself because it's expert terrain and it seems like every time I go up there alone I suffer a near-NARSID experience with nobody around to save me. Finally I could no longer take the temptation and up Chair 2 I went, determined to stay on the well-populated in-bounds routes. There weren't any people waiting for the lift, which is unheard of!!! The rest of the day I had a great time, riding runs I'd never done before and learning how to ride in the trees. It was great fun. At lunch I met a couple guys in the lodge who turned out to be lawyers. We spent the rest of the day making wildy inappropriate jokes and riding awesome pow-laden runs. I was gleeful and blissed-out - it was like a high. I won't ever become one of those "no friends on a powder day" kind of assholes, but I at least understand why some people do. And it felt great to be able to ride double black diamond runs and not be afraid. All in all, an awesome day! :)


Buried again...note the fresh lines down the hill from me.



Imprints are all that remain after I molested the fresh pow

No comments: