Wednesday, December 16, 2009

My New Ride

Here I am, a couple of weeks out of school. Relaxing at last! And working on getting Sadie comfortable in our new environment. I'm going to take Thai lessons in January so I can finally understand what people are saying to me. I've learned a few words, mostly involving food and how much things cost. But that's not enough of course!

Recently I traded in my rental scooter for my very own ride! It's a Yamaha Mio ZR, and it's not something that exists in the States. In fact, nearly all of the cars, trucks, and motorbikes are different here. (Toyota Fortuner or Honda CBR150R, anyone?) They're smaller than in the US,  but usually you don't notice. Until you see an actual Honda Civic and it looks like a freakin' Cadillac, it's so big. It's interesting, that's for sure!


Here are some pictures of my new scooter (or motorbike as they're called in Thailand).  It's kinda pimped out :)  When I finally (a) get a job, and (b) learn how to ride a manual, I'll upgrade to a Honda Dream. I hear they are the best thing around.
 

Here are some pictures from a road trip I took recently, my first long ride on my new bike!  I went in a big loop from Chiang Mai to Samoeng and back to Chiang Mai. It was beautiful. Funny how I've moved smack into the middle of some of the most beautiful and famous motorcycle riding in the world, for those who pay attention to such things. I might have to get more into riding!




View Chiang Mai to Samoeng Loop in a larger map

2 comments:

stacy marie said...

what an excellent ride! good to spend some time exploring before you don't have the luxury of riding in the middle of the day anymore.

I put in my application for a passport :) I'd love to come visit someday

Marshall said...

Looks like you are a confirmed expat. I remember the day I got my Dream. All the sudden I could go anywhere on my own bike. Enjoy. Hang in there with the Thai people laughing at you thing. Just think of yourself as a space alien and then it all makes sense. Thai people laugh when they are nervous and they are honestly afraid for you. That is all.
Get down to CMRCA and make some friends. They are a good crew down there.
Marshall