Thursday, December 18, 2008

Road Trip: In the City

Today was another beautiful sunny day, and I didn't even need my down jacket till about 4:00 p.m. this afternoon. Much of the day was spent in the car, driving around seeing all the important sites. Molly drove, since she lives here, but we took my car because it has the fidorido. Of course, after a couple of hops in and out of the car I just held Sadie on my lap. We weren't going very fast anyway.

We are light on pictures today because I was silly and forgot to charge the battery in my camera. The below pictures are courtesy of my cell phone. [EDIT: added a couple of pictures from the camera now that it's charged.] Of course, I also forgot my phone in the car during one walking excursion, so maybe pictures weren't meant to be taken today. I think I have plenty already!

Getting Sadie out of the room and into the car this morning was quite difficult. I think she's had enough of this road trip. Too bad for her that we're a 2-3 day drive from home.


First a delicious pastry and coffee at La Boulange near Molly's place.


Boulange dogs

Then we drove the long way through Golden Gate Park, checking out the new science museum, Stow Lake, and the polo fields, before heading down to Ocean Beach in the Sunset neighborhood.


Sadie loves Molly, so they were happy to walk down the beach together while I took pictures of the surfers. Unfortunately, none of those came out! Dang it. Later we let Sadie off the leash and she played chase with another dog. That tired her out to the point where she tried to drink the ocean, though much choking and gagging convinced her that it was not a wise choice.


When taking a driving tour of San Francisco, of course you have to drive down the Russian Hill section of Lombard Street, the "crookedest street in the world"! It was like an amusement park ride, and pretty popular with the tourists based on the attention it was getting. Man, I would hate to live on that street, not only because of the difficulty of getting in and out of your home, but because of the constant traffic.


We saw many other interesting places today, and unfortunately I have forgotten much of it. There's so much to see! I should have taken notes. But I will recap some of it: Nob Hill, Russian Hill, Twin Peaks, SOMA, Fisherman's Wharf, Financial District, Sunset.

Oh, at Fisherman's Wharf I tried In-n-Out Burgers for the first time. Um, sorry, but what's the big deal about that place? Maybe it got too built up for me, so when I finally tried it, it was just a...burger and fries. Call me crazy but I'll take Dick's Drive In any day. Also at Fisherman's Wharf we went to the Buena Vista and had an irish coffee, where the drink was invented. It was delicious! Later in the afternoon we took Sadie to the dog park in Cole Valley near Molly's place, then relaxed in her adorable apartment until it was time to meet Cinthia for dinner in the Haight. We ended up getting takeout because the restaurant was packed, which was even better because we went back to Molly's place and ate dinner and had wine. The night ended with plans to meet up soon in Seattle, since both Molly and Cinthia will be there for the holidays. Now they can see my condo! I'm very excited :)

Tomorrow I get up early and leave the city. I'm heading down to San Jose to see the Winchester Mystery House, then back down to Santa Cruz really quickly to see the Mystery Spot. I guess tomorrow is 'mystery day.' Props go to Ryan for suggesting these intriguing sights.

After Santa Cruz I'm winding back up the coast on Hwy 1 to 101 and hope to make it to Ukiah,California to while away the evening in the economical digs of Motel 6 once again. The night after that (a/k/a Friday for you working stiffs) I want to be in Newport Oregon, before cutting back to I-5 for the rest of the trip. The night after that (Saturday the 20th) I hope to be HOME! Yes I love it here, and the road trip has been fun. But my car is full of maps and papers and this and that and general stuff, and I'm living out of a suitcase. And the whole car experience has been really tough on Sadie. I now feel like a terrible mother for subjecting her to this, but at least now I know she can't go on road trips anymore. I know that snow and ice armageddon has hit the states of Washington and Oregon, which is why I'm taking the coast.

See you Seattleites soon! More pictures here

1 comment:

Zinck said...

Your trip to SF sounds almost exactly like mine when I was unemployed. Stayed with a friend that lived (and still lives) in the Sunset District, two blocks from the beach! I seriously thought about moving there as a result of that trip.