Saturday, December 20, 2008

Road Trip: Sonoma to Arcata and Spots In Between

After my wildly refined night in Sonoma, I awoke rather...slowly the next morning. I sneaked the dog out of the room (oh, the things we do) and headed into town to find sustenance. But how to find good coffee in this town? Of course. I found a man sitting on a park bench drinking coffee and asked him where I could find some for myself. He very helpfully directed me to the Basque Boulangerie just across the street. And yes, the coffee was delicious! There were dozens of delicious-looking pastries available to drool over, but unfortunately Sadie started barking at delivery men and we had to boogie out of there. After wandering around some more and making a brief stop in Three Dog Bakery (we go there all the time in Seattle!), we hit the road for points north.

Mendocino was beautiful on the outside, but I was a bit perplexed by something that happened to me there. I needed to change a headlamp bulb in my car, and I had bought one at an auto parts store in Sonoma before I headed out of town. As it was getting dark when I was in Mendo, I decided I'd better get that baby in there before finishing up Highway 1, or "22 miles of misery" as my friend calls it. I had some difficulties getting the old bulb out of the socket, so all told it took me about 15 minutes to complete the switch. For the 15 minutes I was parked by the side of the road with my hood up, lots of people drove by. And nobody stopped. What the hell?! Where are all the friendly Californians I've met my entire trip? I decided Mendo is dead to me (what isn't, really) and hit the highway with Arcata as my destination. Later that night, I was out with my cousin's friend Brooke in Arcata and I told her this story. "It's not that they don't want to help you," she explained. "It's Mendocino. They don't know how to do anything menial." For some reason this cracked us up. That's pretty sad, but it's pretty funny!

Arcata...I think maybe I wasn't in the right frame of mind for Arcata. I understand that it's a pretty cool place, but I didn't see much of that, unfortunately. Homeless kids with dogs on ropes begged for change and smoked weed in the town square. And I saw a guy in a homemade t-shirt that said, "Dominate me with your cunt." Really, do I need to say any more?

Sonoma town square in the morning


Mendocino


Mendocino


The end (or beginning) of Highway 1


Here's t-shirt guy trying out his moovs on an unsuspecting lady. She didn't succumb to his charms. And yes, that is indeed a Native American 'dream catcher' attached to the back of the shirt.

More pictures here

1 comment:

mike helminger said...

that's a quality shirt. i wonder if they sell those wholesale???