Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Road Trip: San Francisco! And Areas Nearby

What a day - I am exhausted! Too exhausted, in fact, to write a coherent update for now. I'll add some text in the morning when I wake up. For now I'll leave you with some pictures and: Stinson Beach, Muir Beach, rain squalls, Lincoln Park, Golden Gate Recreation Area, and the Mission. Oh god, the Mission. I am so glad I have friends who live here. I wish I lived here. I love San Francisco so much I want to marry it. If not for my condo I'd move here in a heartbeat. Damn, you, mortgage! Damn you.

EDIT: Okay, time to fill in this post. The day started with a trip north up Highway 101 from my hotel, over the Golden Gate Bridge into Marin County. I like that part of Hwy 101 because it actually winds through San Francisco proper, and is a nice way to see some sites while staying on the highway. All day the weather was frigidly cold and occasionally rainy, with some sun breaks in Marin. Apparently this weather is a freak occurrence that just happened to occur during my visit. Oh well - at least I'm used to it, since it feels like a Seattle winter. And I have my down jacket, hat and gloves, which I've worn part of every day!

Sadie: uncooperative Me: unphotogenic

I had mixed feelings about driving into Marin County and up the road near Mill Valley, because the last time I was here my boyfriend's family lived here. Now my ex's family lives here (ha ha, get it?). Once I was there, though, driving along the winding Panoramic Highway to Stinson Beach all that was forgotten in the beauty of the moment. The sun was shining, the views were beautiful, and the smell of the eucalyptus trees was amazing. There were very few people on the roads and I arrived in Stinson Beach without incident.

It's always sunny in Marin County

Stinson Beach


On the way back from Stinson Beach I took the shoreline highway instead. Such beautiful views! A sudden storm whipped up when I was driving along the ridge and it was so windy and rainy I thought I wouldn't get out of the car anymore till I got back in the city. Then Muir Beach came along and I decided to stop being a chickenshit and check it out. Good thing, because that storm cleared as quickly as it arrived and the sun was shining once again.

Muir Beach lookout hike



Look at this little guy! I found him on my hike at Muir Beach

Later in the evening I met Cinthia and Mike in the Mission for some frites and bar crawling. I'll just say that the night was pretty awesome :) But, again, freezing. Note the down jacket in the picture below.

Cinthia, Mike, & me at the end of the evening. Yay for local friends who take you cool places!

As always, more pics can be found here

No comments: